6.24.2010

Day 2 - Diary of a Well Woman: "A Fatherless Father's Day"

Day 2 - Diary of a Well Woman - "A FATHERLESS FATHER'S DAY"




Melissa says:

My father was not around when I was growing up. I was so jealous of the other kids who had dads that would come to school. Now, I'm an adult and I still don't have a father. I know it sounds weird, but even as an adult, I still yearn for a father...my father.

What should I do on Fathers day? I don't have a dad.

**************************

Minister Tracy responds:

Melissa, I know how you feel. I was raised by my mother and yearned to have a father present everyday. Although my father was alive, I was fatherless each Father's Day. It wasn't until I became an adult that I realized that I was never really without a father. It wasn't until I learned something so very very important that I was comforted. I will share some if with you today.

You know, this topic reminds me of a conversation that I had a friend about the difference between a dad and a father. People use those terms interchangeably. Whatever term you use it is more than the person who just "beget" or "sired" you. We, as humans, have the inner desire for the one who created us. Whether that is our biological parents or...our heavenly Creator or Father in heaven. And when either is or seems to be missing, then that longing is never satisfied.

But Melissa, only one of those I just described might leave you alone....

You may not have a physical father but God is a Father to the fatherless.

When you are feeling "fatherless" think of this scripture:

Psalm 68:5
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.


Listen to this song:

Father to the Fatherless" by Jason Upton

Melissa, have you ever felt as if your relationship with your father was like a game of hide and seek? You were seeking him, wanting his presence and it seemed as if he was hiding somewhere. Well our heavenly Father is not hiding from you. As a matter of fact, there is no place that you can go to hide from him. All those days and years that you did not have a physical father present your God, our heavenly Father was ALWAYS there. Always watching over you. There is no place you can go and be alone or isolated from His presence.


Psalm 139:7-12
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.



Not only that but a Father spends time with his child and KNOWS his child intimately. I know what it is like to seek the intimacy of a father and not have it. But Melissa, our heavenly Father knows us intimately!


Psalm 139:1-6
1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.


Sometimes our father's are not around because they have passed away or maybe they are workaholics and are there physically but not emotionally or maybe have gone off to war. With all of His choices, God choose to stay when He could very well have left after you were conceived and born.


Psalm 139:13-16

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.


He was there while you were moving around in your mother's womb and He has been right there with you all the time; even when you didn't think He was there...and He is there still.

So this week, activate your free will and CHOOSE to take this Fathers Day to not embrace the sadness of your biological father's absence. Instead, realize, celebrate and honor your Heavenly Father. Thank Him for using your biological father to create you.


Go make plans to celebrate with someone who has been a father figure to you. Surprise them with a father's day card. I remember one year I gave my mom a father's day card because she was both mother and father to me as a child. Be creative this Father's Day.


Know that the Father has heard you and hears you when you pray...

Listen to this song
Father Can You Hear Me?

Know that God will restore the years that you have lost. I am happy to say that I am getting to know my earthly father little by little. But, I never forget that my heavenly Father, loves me more than any mother or father could ever and in that I am always comforted whenever I remember my childhood.

Here are some suggested scriptures to think about this Father's Day:
Matthew 6:9, Romans 8:15, Galatians 4:6

Have a wonderful Father's Day weekend!


~Minister Tracy Curtis~
"One day, I met Jesus at the well too"

T.A.G. Ministries, International
Website: tagministry.ning.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

While everyone is welcome to post a comment to any blog, we ask that it be done without profanity or disrespect to T.A.G., it's founder, or any other person who has posted a comment.